Re: LYNX-DEV lynx-dev list status/problems

From: Jonathan Sergent
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx-dev list status/problems
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 14:25:13 -0500

This is fast approaching off-topic land.

 ] I have found `procmail' to be _100%_ effective in funneling spam out of
 ] my mail box.  I am still not confident enough to divert to /dev/null,
 ] but for the purposes of the lynx-dev community there should be no problem
 ] to diverting it.  The key is to having an up-to-date database of rules.
 ] There are at least two to three of these antispam databases available
 ] on the net.  From downloading `procmail' and the database, to building
 ] the binary and then configuring might take one-half day or more depending
 ] on your skills and available time.  I would recommend sig.net to set up
 ] a global (not just lynx-dev) antispam filter as a way to save disk space.

Yes!  This could obviously be kludged in with Majordomo if implemented
only for lynx-dev, or an MTA such as Exim (as a Sendmail replacement)
could do it automagically (and probably be faster than Sendmail, although
I can't speak since I don't run any decent-sized mailing lists).

I suppose there's probably a way to get procmail to do it globally,
too.  The thing that's "different" in the mailing list case is that it
needs to be done to mail that isn't getting delivered locally other
than to a program's standard input.

--jss.
;
;