Re: LYNX-DEV lynx-dev list status/problems

From: Jay W. Meeuwig
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx-dev list status/problems
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 17:35:46 -0300 (ADT)

 <address@hidden> wrote and:
a) mentioned "procmail";
What is it , and where can i find out more?

b) {Henry} thinks about spam that:
> "The ultimate decision I hope will be made by sig.net..."

It seems akin to my ISP situation:
        At my ISP *i* have no say whatever, what happens on their end,
        other than the "member_political" clout thru the Board...
        [ I am exercising that right. AND i am walking that avenue,
          which seems a long one. ;) ]

The issue that i am concerned about is censorship! To wit:
        What else [ other than "spam" ] is getting "blocked"...
        Our Board doesn't even know that "blocking" is taking place...
        The membership at large (10,000?) does not have a clue...
        There were no announcements... ;=))

In a generic sense the problem seems to be that "people" who are
"well-willing" and even "gracious" throw out the baby with the bathwater...

I absolutely have and want no quarrel with sig.net. I want to make sure
though that when "filtering" or "blocking" happens on the "net", that it
happens in the open. And preferably at the discretion of the "end-user"...
Too many decisions are being made by - IMHO - overly "keen" "sys-admins"
who want to "protect" the[ir?] user.
That sort of "paternalism" is the antithesis of "The Net"!

And { again IMHO}, we need not apologize to or stroke the party
who may or may not have had a hand in the "administrative measures".

We should be able to ask the question STRAIGHT UP! ;)
As in:  [ R there changes???]

In {i quote Klaus Weide}:
        "If it is true that the policy for accepting messages has changed
        - on purpose, to avoid spam and other abuse:
        Please consider changing back to the old behavior.
        There has not been sufficient agreement on the list for this change.
        (If there are technical reasons, please explain them.)"

Klaus also asked the question!
So far *i* have not seen an answer. I also missed previous announcements.

An answer would be nice. Just a thought, eh!

.

PSt I TOO would like to see the "old" way prevail.

;
;