Re: LYNX-DEV lynx-dev list status/problems

From: Jim Dennis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx-dev list status/problems
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 18:01:35 -0700

>  <address@hidden> wrote and:
> a) mentioned "procmail";
> What is it , and where can i find out more?

        procmail is a "little language" for scripting the
        PROCessing of MAIL.  It was written by

        Stephen R. van den Berg at RWTH-Aachen, Germany
                address@hidden

        -- you can find an FAQ and some links to procmail
        at:

        Procmail FAQ
        http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/%7Ereriksso/procmail/mini-faq.html

        I also wrote an article on procmail for the Linux Gazette
        at: http://www.ssc.com/lg/issue14/procmail.html

        There is a related package called SmartList -- by the
        same author.  SmartList is an automated mail list
        management package which is written largely as procmail recipes
        -- but which call on a couple of small binaries for the bulk
        of their work.  This gives a good balance of customizability
        and extensability with very good performance and low overhead
        (compared to Majordomo).  SmartList is also appreciated among
        list managers (http://www.greatcircle.com/lists.html)
        for it's automatic bounce management and intelligent "diversion"
        (most list requests that are sent to the list rather than the
        -request address are detected and diverted automatically).

        I realize this is off-topic so I won't go into any detail on
        these subjects.

> b) {Henry} thinks about spam that:
> > "The ultimate decision I hope will be made by sig.net..."
>
> It seems akin to my ISP situation:
>       At my ISP *i* have no say whatever, what happens on their end,
>       other than the "member_political" clout thru the Board...
>       [ I am exercising that right. AND i am walking that avenue,
>         which seems a long one. ;) ]

        I currently have a co-located host on the net.  This site is
        primarily for the use of a small non-profit literary organization
        of which I'm a member (http://www.lasfs.org) -- However, I might
        be willing to host a list at that site -- and I've made it clear
        to my "guest" that there use of the system is non-exclusive.
        The bandwidth is being donated by another friend of the club --
        so I have to be sensitive to his needs.

> The issue that i am concerned about is censorship! To wit:
>       What else [ other than "spam" ] is getting "blocked"...
>       Our Board doesn't even know that "blocking" is taking place...
>       The membership at large (10,000?) does not have a clue...
>       There were no announcements... ;=))

        Is the membership really this large?  That's a pretty big
        mailing list.  One feature of SmartList is that you can
        configure it to support "exploders" for a distributed
        list.  Basically you set it up so that each subscriber is
        put on a particular host -- each host passes it's messages to
        the master which then passes it to each of the exploders.

        50 messages a day for 10,000 subscribers would be a
        half-million mails a day.  That's a considerable load
        (http loads are typically much lighter than smtp).

        So, how many subscribers do we have?

--
Jim Dennis,                                address@hidden
Proprietor,                          address@hidden

        PGP  1024/2ABF03B1 Jim Dennis <address@hidden>
        Key fingerprint =  2524E3FEF0922A84  A27BDEDB38EBB95A
;