Re: LYNX-DEV /tmp patch, round 2

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV /tmp patch, round 2
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 20:07:08 +0900 (JST)

> hours with it) and it seems to work, but I may have missed some things

I know it's going to sound dumb, but just maybe there is a case you
haven't noticed, so I figure it's better to swallow my pride and speak up.

The login script for the account in question has this line:
        setenv LYNX_TEMP_SPACE /home/guest/.lynx
The directory .lynx exists in /home/guest (ls -al):
        drwx-----t   2 user          512 Jul 14 11:56 .lynx

This account has a unique .mailcap entry:
        text/x-archive; /usr/bin/most +s -k %s,
and a unique .mime.types entry:
        text/x-archive                 hog.

If the "user" from within Lynx hits return on a link to
a file with the extension .hog.gz, e.g. myarchive.hog.gz (a
compressed text file) a file by the name ".hog" (literally; not
"myarchive.hog") is created (by Most?) in /home/guest, not under
/home/guest/.lynx (ls -al):
        -rw-------   1 user       369447 Jul 14 19:39 .hog
(This file .hog is indeed the expanded text file that Most
is rendering from within a Lynx session.)

I never gave much thought to this and had assumed it was safe
enough, but in order to use Most this way from within Lynx it
seems to be necessary to have the permission on /home/guest
at least as lax as 01755.

The rest I leave to those who understand what the implications
might be.  Sincerely hope I haven't wasted your time.

__Henry
;
;