LYNX-DEV Bad HTML Will o' the Wisp

From: Al Gilman
Subject: LYNX-DEV Bad HTML Will o' the Wisp
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 23:27:34 -0400 (EDT)

Susan Bredesen also got the "Bad HTML" warning running 2.7.1 on VMS.
I don't get it running 2.7 on SunOS.  I grepped the trace she sent
for Alert and the only hits were where I had used the word in my
HTML.

What I can't guess from these data is whether this has to do with
bad HTML that hits the 2.7.1 parser differently from the 2.7 parser,
or whether it has to do with some VMS-specific code.  As Susan said,
when she ran it in trace mode there was no warning, so I am not sure
the trace she sent me will tell us anything.

There is known bad stuff in my page because I am sentimental
enough to leave the unclosed list at the foot of the file in
memory of how it all started as a bookmark file.

But why the intermittency of the warnings I cannot fathom.

--
Al Gilman

----- Forwarded message from address@hidden -----
From: address@hidden
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 21:40:57 -0400 (EDT)

Al,
slight correction:

If I do
      $ lynx "http://www.access.digex.net/%7Easgilman/lynx/FAQ/#htons";
        (here I get the bad html message)
       and then press G
        and then press up arrow to get
        G(o to) http://www.access.digex.net/%7Easgilman/lynx/FAQ/#htons
        and then press return
all is ok.

This is really what I did before  (in order not to have to type all that
again)

In other words, the first time in in lynx session that I go to your page
The message appears. But on subsequent Gos in the same session it does not.

Same behavior if your URL is a bookmark. First time select it, get the
message.
Second time, no message.

Anyway, then I did

 $ lynx "http://www.access.digex.net/%7Easgilman/lynx/FAQ/#htons"; -trace
 (now the message does not appear)
 Quit

The resulting lynx.trace file is attached below.
I see no clues. Your turn ;-)

Susan