Re: LYNX-DEV Bad HTML Will o' the Wisp

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bad HTML Will o' the Wisp
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 23:12:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Al Gilman wrote:

> Susan Bredesen also got the "Bad HTML" warning running 2.7.1 on VMS.
> I don't get it running 2.7 on SunOS.  I grepped the trace she sent
> for Alert and the only hits were where I had used the word in my
> HTML.

I assume she's not using pure 2.7.1, but 2.7.1 with some Fotemods
applied.

The word "Alert" doesn't appear in those trace messages that correspond
to the "Bad HTML!!" statusline message, nor does the string "Bad HTML!!"
(although that would help locating them).  The statusline message also
is not generated if trace mode is on.  It's been like that for a while...

Anyway, look for "not closed" in the trace log.

> What I can't guess from these data is whether this has to do with
> bad HTML that hits the 2.7.1 parser differently from the 2.7 parser,
> or whether it has to do with some VMS-specific code.  As Susan said,
> when she ran it in trace mode there was no warning, so I am not sure
> the trace she sent me will tell us anything.
>
> There is known bad stuff in my page because I am sentimental
> enough to leave the unclosed list at the foot of the file in
> memory of how it all started as a bookmark file.

Your sentimentality should not prevent you from making your document
(at least temporarily!) valid, to see whether anybody still gets that
message.  It should also not prevent you from installing a newer version
of Lynx (possibly with patches), if you want to figure out something about
a behavior of that version which is reported by others...

Your page doesn't have the same invalid structure as a bookmark file.
It is "more invalid".  A bookmark file doesn't have an unclosed <BODY>.

> But why the intermittency of the warnings I cannot fathom.
>
> --
> Al Gilman
>
> ----- Forwarded message from address@hidden -----
> From: address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 21:40:57 -0400 (EDT)
>
> If I do
>       $ lynx "http://www.access.digex.net/%7Easgilman/lynx/FAQ/#htons";
>       (here I get the bad html message)
>        and then press G
>       and then press up arrow to get
>       G(o to) http://www.access.digex.net/%7Easgilman/lynx/FAQ/#htons
>       and then press return
> all is ok.

When the document is already cached in memory, it doesn't get re-parsed
(unless it is first retrieved again, in case there were no-cache
directives etc.).  So there is no way that message could be generated
again.

   Klaus

;
;