Re: LYNX-DEV charsets

From: Ricardas Cepas
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV charsets
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 17:07:06 +0300

On Jul 15, Klaus Weide wrote:
> ..... but this doesn't work:
>       net -> (an 8-bit charset) -> lynx -> utf-8 -> display.
>
> In other words, lynx doesn't *generate* UTF-8 from other character
> sets/encoding.  Not so much because it would be difficult or
> impossible, but for lack of interest so far.  Also because in general
> the UTF-8 display doesn't work very well (see below).

> 2. Optimization for movement within a line gets messed up.

        I  have  recompiled   with  -DSLANG_MBCS_HACK  and
UTF-8  text  looks  normally  except ALT  tags  and  boxes
(despite  BOXVERT/BOXHORI  set  to  '*'  and  ALT_CHAR_SET
undefined). Bad  lines   with  lots   of  spaces   not  so
visible. BTW I  have `less' compiled with  ncurses 3.0 and
it doesn't have this problem when invoked with -r.
        It would be a really great advantage if Lynx would
generate  UTF-8 -  there are  512 character  console fonts
available for  Linux, and you  can use most  of ISO-8859-*
glyphs  without frequent  font reloading.   There is  also
initial  release of  `uterm' (svgalib  UTF-8 terminal  for
Linux).

                                        Thanks,
--
                                      Ričardas Čepas