Re: LYNX-DEV Keyboard mapping question

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Keyboard mapping question
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 11:10:44 -0500 (EST)

Joe Kincaid <address@hidden> forwared, from:
Name: Brad
Mail: address@hidden

>I wanted my left arrow key to behave as the up arrow.
>
>In my config file I have:
>
>KEYMAP:0x83:PREV_LINK
>
>This works ALMOST like the up arrow now.  But when
>I am in a text box the left arrow does NOT go to previous
>link as does the up arrow.
>
>QUESTION:  Is there a way to make the left arrow
>behave exactly like the up arrow?

        When you're in a form's "text box", you are using the line editor,
which has it's own key bindings mapped in LYEditmap.c.  For it's "Default
Binding", the left-arrow key (LTARROW) is mapped to LYE_BACK (read the
"Line Editor" documentation in the online 'h'elp for what the BACK and
FORW mappings mean; you definitely want them, even if you don't understand
how it works and might think you want something else).  The up-arrow key
(UPARROW) is mapped to LYE_NOP, which means it's unmapped, so you go
back to the main loop and get what you've configured via a KEYMAP:, or
its default LYK_PREV_LINK binding in LYKeymap.c.  You can modify the
Default Binding in LYEditmap.c, but what we intended when Dick Westphal
and I added the enhanced line editor was that a set of bindings be
developed (e.g., EMACS-like, VI-like, etc.) which can be selected and
saved in .lynxrc via the 'o'ptions menu.  That's still possible, but
no alternate bindings have been contributed, and for now, when you use
the "li(N)e edit style" command ('n' or 'N'), you get a popup with only
one choice in it.

                                Fote