Re: LYNX-DEV back-ground download

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV back-ground download
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 16:41:27 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, Vomberg Semuel wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, "Nobody" wrote:
>
> > > but i'm not asking for background download ! UNIX don't need help with
> > > multitesking. all that featury needs to do is to run a sub-proccess,
> > > something like "lynx -source <url> >file.name &", and that's all !
> > > is it defficult to be done ?
> > It isn't specifically difficult, at least not on unix (which is how I do
> > an interruptable name lookup, see HTTCP.c and grep for fork).  But it has
> > to do with how and where Lynx goes in the code when doing a download.
>
> sorry, but i'm not a Unix programer, or know something about internet
> programing. also, i'm not a root here, so can't do anything to change
> Lynx source-code.

You don't need to be root to compile and install lynx.  (Whether your
site's policy allows you to install a private copy is another
question.)  You need of course access to a C compiler in order to
compile.

> > The problem is that Lynx doesn't ask for a name until the download is
> > complete.  Also, since the download has a progress indicator that would
> > have to be sent to /dev/null.  None of this is difficult, but it is
> > scattered through different points in the code, some in src and some in
> > WWW/Library...
>
> can *you* do it ?

See <URL: http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0797/msg00373.html>.
Nothing as fancy as Tom Z.(aka "Nobody")'s ideas. The development
code mentioned there is in <URL: http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/>.

   Klaus

;
;