Re: LYNX-DEV javascript URLs

From: Jim Dennis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV javascript URLs
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 01:55:29 -0700

>> I'm still planning on implementing a subset of JS in lynx as my
>> MS project.  The good news is that I've had large chunks of time
>> suddenly open up, so the lexer is just about done (this is the
>
> If you do this, please give some thought to minimising the impact on the
> core code.  The things that need to be possible are for Javascript
> support to be excluded with a minimal impact on the size, and for, say,
> VBScript, to be added with no further changes to the core code.  I think
> this is the approach that Microsoft are taking (DLLs which understand the
> languages and a browser core which just about knows when to invoke the
> DLLs).
>
> I don't want to see Lynx go the way of MSIE, where you need a very powerful
> machine to run it at all and it can take 30 seconds to a minute to start up.
>
> I suspect that you may have to do a lot of rework on the internals of Lynx,
> to make it fit the Java/VBScript object model.

        One issue I'd like to raise (I posted it to the suggestions web
        page as I was subscribing to this list -- but haven't mentioned
        here):

                There is a freeware package out there called ctk
                (Curses/Tk) which apparently implements most of the
                text, menu, and button widgets and the layout manager
                from Tk in curses.  This allows a TCL/Tk script to
                run from a curses compatible console or terminal.

                The author hasn't updated it recently and I'd like to
                see it "adopted" by a "good home"  I also think it
                would be a good basis for us to build tables support
                and horizontal scrolling, and allow us to have
                re-bindable keys.  I suspect that many of the
                JavaScript features  (like list boxes) would be easier
                to implement if these "widgets" were already available
                in a library (that would be a bit higher level than
                slang -- but might be built around it)..
;
;