Re: LYNX-DEV HPUX and devel code

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV HPUX and devel code
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 14:10:48 -0400 (EDT)

> I modified the configure script to use -Ae instead of -Aa -D_HPUX_SOURCE.
>
> The two result in the same thing as far as includes go, but -Ae adds some
> compiler behavior I think.
>
> In any case, -Ae is the "normal" argument one passes to HP-UX cc for ANSI
> code.
-Aa is supposed to yield ANSI behavior, while -Ae is extended C.
Technically (if HP were following the standards as closely as other vendors),
using -Aa would cause problems (since, for example, some of the prototypes
may not match since default promotions don't match, some of the header
definitions wouldn't be visible because they're POSIX rather than ANSI,
etc.).  I'd expect HP-UX 10.x to be a little closer to the standards than
9.x, though (was this also 9.x?).

> I'd send along a patch to aclocal.m4 but I can't verify it since the
> autoconf here doesn't seem to like the lynx configure.in.
I'm using autoconf 2.12, with a one-line patch that someone on the net
posted to allow the generated scripts to workaround a shell buffer-limit.
(So 2.12 should work - I stopped using 2.10+patches about a month after
2.12 came out).

> In any case, it works with CC=/bin/cc and the generic target with the
> -Ae argument.  I didn't tets it with -Aa -D_HPUX_SOURCE but -Ae is
> more appropriate...
right - I'm only testing K&R configure with native curses on SunOS & HP-UX,
just in case someone wants to do that.

> The ORA Unix Systems Programming for SVR4 book (by Dave Curry) lists the
> applicable arguments for ANSI mode compilers on various platforms
> somewhere near the front of the book... I can send them along tonight
> if you want.
I've got online man-pages for Solaris, IRIX and HP-UX (which I think
document these things).  The real issue was whether those special definitions
were needed, since that's the only reason I didn't remove the snake2/snake3
targets yet.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden