Re: LYNX-DEV Jumbled screen

From: Joe Kincaid
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Jumbled screen
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 13:42:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, Jeff Lemon wrote:

>       Your the "Help people" so please help.
>       When I originally started using Linknet through Kitsap Library, my WWW
> access was exceptional and it worked well.  Nowadays, all I get is a
> screen of jumbled words and half-words.  My expertise in "computer things"
> is limited, but I tried just about everything I can from my end of the
> phone line.  I have reinstalled my program (Windows95's Hyperterminal) and
> tinkered with all the settings.  I have used the defaults (which worked
> perfectly many months ago) and have attempted to use both Linknet's "help"
> and Windows' "help" to no avail.
>       Although the words are often jumbled the Gopher seems to work...to
> a point.  I appears as if the cursor doesn't operate the function that it
> indicates.  (It's like having all buttons mislabeled.)  I may ask to go
> "here", but I usually end up "there", and I don't have any idea where
> "there" is.  To make matters worse, as the cursor travels across the
> text, new text appears.  Pressing the right cursor will erase existing
> words (or word fragments) and rewrite new words (or fragments).
>       I'm at a loss for any explanation, but If you have one, I'd like
> to hear all about it.  All other services provided by the Kitsap Library
> including the "card catalog" and "Pine" (I'm using Pine now) work
> perfectly.  Help, help, help!         Please?

I have seen this happen in two different places. The first was with a very
old version of Lynx (but it appears you have recently upgraded from your
message). The second was for myself just recently when my termcap info did
not reflect the expanded size of my screen (I was using MS-Kermit from
home and my video mode was 43x132). In the latter case, pine worked fine
as did many other programs, but Lynx "jumbled" my screen, as you put it
even though it worked fine before the upgrade to 2.7. I suggest checking
your terminal settings, the term cap info and any other information
relevant to the terminal. I suspect you will find the problem there.

Joe
-----
Joseph Kincaid                 |  Mathematics is the alphabet with which God
address@hidden   |  has written the universe.
address@hidden        |                          -- Galileo
http://www.peru.edu/~kincaid   |   (except he said it in Italian, of course.)

;