Re: LYNX-DEV core dump

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV core dump
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 19:48:34 -0500 (EST)

Clyde Hoadley <address@hidden> wrote:
>I am having trouble building lynx 2.7.1  I am on a DEC Alpha 2100
>running DU4.0b.  We are using the "advfs" file system.  I am using the
>Dec C compiler, invoked with the "cc" command.  I run the build
>with "make osf".
>
>The first problem I have is, I get a warning message from the compiler
>when compiling the GridText.c module.
>cc -O -Olimit 4000 -DUNIX  -DFANCY_CURSES
>-I../WWW/Library/Implementation -DDI
>RED_SUPPORT  -DOK_TAR -DOK_ZIP -DOK_GZIP -DOK_UUDECODE -DOK_OVERRIDE
>-DOK_PERMIT
>   -DEXP_CHARTRANS -DNSL_FORK -DLYNXCGI_LINKS -DUSE_EXTERNALS  -I..  -c
>GridText
>.c
>cc: Warning: GridText.c, line 799: In this statement, the referenced
>type of the pointer value "tmp" is "unsigned char", which is not
>compatible with "signed char".
>            title = tmp;
>------------^

        You're using development code (a v2.7.1ac.0.n) not the vanilla
v2.7.1, and an old 0.n level of the development code.  A typecast was
added for that some time ago.

>The second problem I have is, I get an Error message when compiling
>LYCurses.c.  I can eliminate this error by adding -DNO_TTYTYPE to
>the makefile for "osf".  But, I'm not sure this is right.
>cc -O -Olimit 4000 -DUNIX  -DFANCY_CURSES
>-I../WWW/Library/Implementation -DDI
>RED_SUPPORT  -DOK_TAR -DOK_ZIP -DOK_GZIP -DOK_UUDECODE -DOK_OVERRIDE
>-DOK_PERMIT
>   -DEXP_CHARTRANS -DNSL_FORK -DLYNXCGI_LINKS -DUSE_EXTERNALS  -I..  -c
>LYCurses
>.c
>cc: Error: LYCurses.c, line 908: In this statement, "ttytype" is not
>declared.
>    if (strncmp((CONST char*)ttytype, "dec-vt", 6) == 0) {
>-----------------------------^

        See http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0797/msg00443.html
about that (and gobs of other messages in the lynx-dev archive for that
FAQ :).

>Finally, I get this message when compiling UCAuto.c
>cc -O -Olimit 4000 -DUNIX  -DFANCY_CURSES -DNO_TTYTYPE
>-I../WWW/Library/Implem
>entation -DDIRED_SUPPORT  -DOK_TAR -DOK_ZIP -DOK_GZIP -DOK_UUDECODE
>-DOK_OVERRID
>E -DOK_PERMIT   -DEXP_CHARTRANS -DNSL_FORK -DLYNXCGI_LINKS
>-DUSE_EXTERNALS  -I..
>  -c UCAuto.c
>cc: Warning: UCAuto.c, line 221: Source file does not contain any
>declarations.
>#endif /* EXP_CHARTRANS */
>--------------------------^

        That was dealt with in the fotemods, and in the current development
code as well.

>When I try to run lynx, I get a Memoryfault(core dump).  I have tried
>modifying line 799 of GridText.c to read "title = (char *)tmp;" but,
>I still get a core dump.  I don't think it's coming from GridText
>anyway.  What do you suggest I do next?

        See http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0797/msg00443.html about
that too.  The fix is in the fotemods code set, but not yet in the development
code set (should be soon :).

                                Fote