LYNX-DEV Views on some accessibility details (questions)

From: Al Gilman
Subject: LYNX-DEV Views on some accessibility details (questions)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 22:21:37 -0400 (EDT)

Robert Savellis of the government of Australia asked these
questions on the accessibility initiative "interest group"
mailing list.

Would you check my reactions to the last two?  I am not sure
how usable websites with frames are if you are using Lynx
in combination with speech.

The whole set of questions is quoted below.  My ideas of what
to tell him about three and four are:

(3) Is it fair to describe the latest version of Lynx as frames capable?

It is at least fair to say it is frames-copable.  Lynx now
presents the contents of frames much as if they were separate
HTML documents.  With a little care for the naming of the frames,
this can be quite usable.

[webwatch: is that too rosy?]

(4) Finally, does validation also serve the purpose of making a site
accessible?

Yes.  At least one non-trivial connection is this:
        Lynx serves the blind.
        Lynx does well with correct HTML;
        not so well with not so correct HTML.

Most of the unusable sites that the Lynx developers hear about,
at least, are unusable because the HTML is really bad.

--
Al Gilman

----- Forwarded message from Robert Savellis -----

I have had some feedback on the AUS Accessibility Standards
for Web Design (guidelines for accessibility for Australian
Govt websites), in regards to fine-tuning some of the Standards.

However, I am not certain as to the accuracy of some of these
recommendations, therefore, I was hopeful for some expert feedback.

(1) Do the Height and Width attributes in image tags alter page load time,
or do they simply load text first?

(2) Is it the case that the vast majority of web clients wrap ALT text?

(3) Is it fair to describe the latest version of Lynx as frames capable?

(4) Finally, does validation also serve the purpose of making a site
accessible?

Your views would be most welcome

Regards

Robert Savellis