Re: LYNX-DEV Meta Refresh Tag in Lynx

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Meta Refresh Tag in Lynx
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 12:05:00 -0500 (EST)

Bill Churchman <address@hidden> wrote:
>We seem to be having difficulty with Lynx recognizing
>the meta tag
>
><META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="1; /~siast/default.htm">
>
>It seems to be recognized by netscape but not by lynx.
>We are using version 2.3. Is this a known problem in
>lynx 2.3? If so, has it been corrected in a later version?
>
>Thanks for your help...

        Netscape didn't even exist way back when Lynx v2.3 was released,
so you can't use a version of Netscape as old as the version of Lynx you
are using.  But if you could, would you?

        Refresh is not a valid HTTP header, and though no one has a crystal
ball, from the discussions about it in the IETF's HTTP-WG, it never will be.
If you use it via servers or as an HTTP-EQUIV in META tags, you must rely
on Netscape's pseudo-specs for it.  Netscape does not respect it's own
pseudo-specs any better than it does IETF RFCs or W3C so-called "Proposed
Standards".  According to Netscape's pseudo-specs, that META tag should
include URL=absoluteURL (e.g., URL="http://bad.ideas.com/~siast/default.htm";
not just /~siast/default.htm).  If you use a less utterly-antique version
of Lynx, it will not require that the URL be absolute, but the URL= must
be present.

                                Fote