Re: LYNX-DEV Re: extended "show color" choice

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: extended "show color" choice
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 15:43:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> > Generating the initial choice (when the 'O'ptions Screen is shown for
> > the first time, before a user presses '&') is tricky, because that
> > determines what gets written to .lynxrc if the user saves without
> > bothering to change or even look at the "show color" field.  I set it
> > to just plain "OFF" or "ON" if no "show_color:" line was in .lynxrc
> > before; to "Always OFF" or "Always ON" if such a line was found AND
> > the preference given by it is still in effect; and to plain "OFF" or
> > "ON" if a "show_color:" line was present but was overriden by a
> > command line flag.  This should prevent accidentally saving a
> > show_color preference in all cases if it wasn't already there, and
> > also should prevent accidentally "losing" a preference when saving
> > with '>' under normal circumstances.
>
> I'm sure that somewhere in this paragraph, you address my initial reaction
> to this idea, but it's just not clicking.

Not sure which "initial reaction" you mean.  If you mean your message
about the fact that "forcing" color on, in spite of a mono-only terminfo
description, doesn't work with curses - that's not addressed in what you
quoted. But mentioned briefly in the section before:

>> (This is modified for the case of color-
>> curses with a non-color terminal, so that ON cannot be selected.)

> What happens in the case that someone sets "Always ON" or "Always OFF" and
> then saves it in the .lynxrc.  They later change their mind and want "ON"
> or "OFF".  Since these are NOT saved in the .lynxrc, will they be able to
> ever undo the previous setting without editing .lynxrc and manually
> removing that line?

Maybe it is not clear what "NOT saving in .lynxrc" means.  Since .lynxrc
is completely rewritten each time the '>' saving is done, not writing
any "show_color:blah" to the file means there won't be any
"show_color:blah" in the file, even if it was there before (in the
previous version). The .lynxrc file is not a database where individual
records can be updated (or left unchanged) independently.

I could just as well, rather than omit writing show_color to .lynxrc,
write "show_color:maybe" to .lynxrc, with the same effect.

    Klaus

;
;