LYNX-DEV Their fault! (was Wash Post)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: LYNX-DEV Their fault! (was Wash Post)
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 06:17:54 -0400 (EDT)

970725 Jason McBrayer wrote:
> My wife has been having trouble accessing news articles brought up with the
> search page on www.washingtonpost.com, using Lynx 2.6 on a Unix free-net.
> The URL returned is not correct,
> eg  http://search.washingtonpost.com/cgi-bin/../../wp-srv/WPlate/blah
> and returns a 404 (not found) error.

yup, this has been happening for a long time & is definitely WP's fault!

> In Lynx 2.7.1 I can edit this URL to remove the section from cgi-bin
> to before wp-srv (that is, yeilding a URL like
> http://search.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPlate/blah
> to actually get the article.
> This, of course, is impossible in Lynx 2.6

two obvious remedies: your wife could lobby her sysadmin to upgrade,
or she could manually enter the whole string:
use  =  to get the URL on display, then  g , then type it in.

> My gut feeling is that this is due to something horribly wrong
> with the Washington Post's search mechanism.
> I wanted to make sure that it's the Post's fault
> before I write them a polite e-mail informing them of the fact
> that their search engine is non-functional.

i've told them at least twice without effect:
please have another try yourself & anyone else who's encountered this.

i have a feeling there may have been a fix added to the development code.
there was a long discussion (several?) on lynx-dev about  ../  URLs,
but it's not easy to search for it in the Archive;
possibly someone with a better memory for threads could point us to it.

;