Re: LYNX-DEV Your Web Site's Findability

From: nospam-seesignature
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Your Web Site's Findability
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:27:18 -0400

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Duncan Hill wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Jonathan Sergent wrote:
>
> >  ] Spam time -- Where did all this spam come from all of a sudden?
>
> > Does anyone know if the iemmc.org thing is for real?  At least
> > one of the messages I've seen was from CyberPromo.
>
> Iemmc.org seems to be for real.  I got some spam over another list
> from someone else who used their list for "ethical use of direct
> email" (its on their web site).  Went to iemmc, pasted in the mail

IEMMC is for real, their filter isn't.  Yesterday, I got something
pointing to a site on quantcom.com, which is theoretically part of the
IEMMC (with forged headers, something they say they cancel accounts for
but don't in reality).

From my anti-spam bookmark file:

http://abuse.net/ - how and where to complain if the headers are valid, or
the advertisement is for a site with an ISP that has an anti-spam policy.
Normally a whois or traceroute can find the ISP or NSP, and except for
AGIS, they have anti-spam policies.

http://members.aol.com/macabrus/agisfaq.html - AGIS and IEMMC FAQ

The IEMMC was something AGIS formed so they could blame someone else and
have them field complaints.  They even have a toll free line that they
rarely answer.  And a code of ethics which is ignored even more.  And the
infamous "filter" that never works.

Of course, I have been in their filter for a month, but there is no way to
check if you are there or not so they can always claim a mistake.

> As for filtering it.  If it can't be filtered at the list end, and you
> have access to procmmail, install it, and use a rule something like:
> :0
> information
> >/dev/null  (or to a spam folder for furhgter anlysis.)

Interesting that the above recipie catches most of the spam I get.  The
rest is from searching the body for Email Blaster or other spamware
advertisement banners.

--- reply to tzeruch - at - ceddec - dot - com ---

;
;