Re: LYNX-DEV Suggestion: parse .shtml as an HTML file

From: Jim Dennis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Suggestion: parse .shtml as an HTML file
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 20:48:11 -0700

>   Hi, lynx maintainers.  I thank you for releasing such a great web
> browser!
>
>   Nowadays, more and more HTML files has extension other than .html.
> For example, .shtml for SSI HTML, .phtml for PHP/FI embedded HTML.
> Browsing those HTML files from the command line like this:
>
>   % lynx index.phtml
>
> doesn't parse HTML tags, because lynx assume it is a plain text.
>   I want lynx to recognize files as HTML files, if the files have
> extensions defined in lynx.cfg like:
>
>   HTML_EXTENSIONS:html,shtml,phtml
>
>   I appreciate your implementing this.

        This would be very difficult to do in Lynx (or any
        browser).  It would make a great deal more sense to
        place the page(s) (or links thereto) under some directory
        that was accessible by the http daemon and use a "localhost"
        URL.

        For example I can see things under my public_html directory
        as parsed by my local HTTP daemon by issuing the command:

                lynx http://localhost/~jimd

        This should also let you use any locally available CGI scripts
        and forms.
;
;