Re: LYNX-DEV Suggestion: parse .shtml as an HTML file

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Suggestion: parse .shtml as an HTML file
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 08:14:27 +0100 (BST)

> >   Nowadays, more and more HTML files has extension other than .html.
> > For example, .shtml for SSI HTML, .phtml for PHP/FI embedded HTML.
> > Browsing those HTML files from the command line like this:
> >
> >   % lynx index.phtml
> >
> > doesn't parse HTML tags, because lynx assume it is a plain text.
> >   I want lynx to recognize files as HTML files, if the files have
> > extensions defined in lynx.cfg like:
> >
> >   HTML_EXTENSIONS:html,shtml,phtml
> >
> >   I appreciate your implementing this.
>
>       This would be very difficult to do in Lynx (or any
>       browser).  It would make a great deal more sense to

I don't think he wants the server side processing done; I think he only
wants to get a rough idea of the contents from the parts which aren't
SGML comments.

As such, it would appear to me that Lynx already does this, or if it doesn't
it should be considered a bug, as it would be an orthogonality failure in
its handling of MIME types.

Based just on documentation, and not tested, you can achieve this effect
by adding SUFFIXES lines to the lynx.cfg file or adding extensions to
the mime.types file.  If there is a failure of orthogonality, Lynx would
presumably hand off text/html to mailcap, which could use -force_html for
a recursive call.
;
;