LYNX-DEV "lynx" makefile target (was: Ultrix tweaks)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV "lynx" makefile target (was: Ultrix tweaks)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 19:36:19 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, T.E.Dickey wrote:

[Hynek Med:]

> > Two more general notes:
> >
> > - could lynx be default target for the generated makefile? So that I do
> > just "make" and not "make lynx".

> I thought about doing that (it wouldn't be hard).  Probably will, unless
> someone offers sufficient reason to retain the old structure.

Having "lynx" as the primary target, as it currently is, is a bad idea -
because it is the name of the generated binary.  The way things are now,
after that change, make won't recognize that it has to recompile after
any files have changed - as long as a file named "lynx" exists in the
top directory (even if that's from last year).  This should be changed -
I guess this is a reason why targets like "all" are normally used
which don't correspond to any file.

   Klaus

;
;