Re: LYNX-DEV "lynx" makefile target (was: Ultrix tweaks)

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV "lynx" makefile target (was: Ultrix tweaks)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 21:09:18 -0400 (EDT)

> Having "lynx" as the primary target, as it currently is, is a bad idea -
> because it is the name of the generated binary.  The way things are now,
> after that change, make won't recognize that it has to recompile after
> any files have changed - as long as a file named "lynx" exists in the
> top directory (even if that's from last year).  This should be changed -
> I guess this is a reason why targets like "all" are normally used
> which don't correspond to any file.
I didn't name it 'all' because I didn't want to (at that stage) change the
structure of the rest of the makefile (symbolic targets are ok, though they
also have problems).  Anyway, that's on my list.  I've a lot of build logs
to go through from this week along with the half-dozen problems that've
been reported.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden