LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx 2-7-1 - hightlighting problem

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx 2-7-1 - hightlighting problem
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 20:18:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Hynek Med wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Christopher Michael DiLeo wrote:
>
> > The lynx that is made works fine except for the fact that once i have
> > highlighted a link, and move to another, the visited ones stay lit. When
> > the screen jumps, the links reset, but while navigating around agiven
> > page, it is nasty to look at several highlighted words.

If this only happens with links which are within a hightlighted context,
i.e. <A ...>...</A> within <B>...</B>, <I>...</I> and so on, then it is
probably what Hynek is talking about.  IF OTOH something like this happens
for all links, whether they are within highlighted text or not, then it
seems like a different problem (likely a curses problem or terminfo
problem).

> This annoying bug has been fixed in Fote's patches
> (http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/fote), and I think in the current development
> code (http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/current/) too.

Yes, the development code is using the same code from fotemods, more or
less unchanged.

> > I have successfully compile several other programs. And i tried using
> > both gcc and cc. My only guesses to this point are as follows:
> >
> > 1) Lynx is not happy with my system.
>
> Give the development code a try. It's compilation system is based on GNU
> autoconf, it should give better results..
>
> > 2) My curses library is not working right.
>
> Many native curses are broken, try ncurses or slang. The development
> code's autoconf does some checks for broken curses implementation, so it
> should give better results, I guess.

Of course most kinds of brokenness cannot be detected automatically,
especially if the display is in some way wrong only with some terminal
types.

> Hynek
>
> PS Note that the development code and Fote's patches are really
> development code, so it may can be less stable than normal lynx releases.
> (My personal experience is that it's both fairly stable nevertheless.)

           Klaus

;
;