Re: LYNX-DEV problems with current auto-config

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV problems with current auto-config
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 07:54:52 -0400 (EDT)

> All the dired related ones, and a number of others (chartrans, various
> settings for slang and curses locations), have moved to be handled by
> the configure script.  Others (most or all were just mentioned in
> Makefile, not set by default) still have to be set in makefile (such
> diverse things as -DNSL_FORK, -DSOCKS, -DUNDERLINE_LINKS,
> -DDECLARE_WAIS_LOGFILES, -DREVERSE_CLEAR_SCREEN_PROBLEM).  I don't think
right - those are ones that I (generally) do not see an easy way to
make configure test for - if I notice any that I overlooked, I'll add
tests.

> you should try to move them all - I don't see the point.  If someone wants
> or needs one of the more unusual options, it's not too much to ask that
> they review makefile or makefile.in - or presumably for example
>
>    export CFLAGS="-DUNDERLINE_LINKS" ./configure ...
>
> should also work, for people who upgrade often and don't want to edit
> makefile each time?
right.  I use the $CFLAGS override all the time (at home, that's how I
configure slang builds, since I don't use it for production code).

> > I added/expanded the same text to the README.configure that I removed from
> > Makefile, since it documents the configure options.
> > (Perhaps you would prefer that it be moved to makefile.in)
>
> Ok, I didn't fully realize that you had essentially moved (and adapted)
> the descriptive text from makefile.in to README.configure.  My fault, the
> documentation has not "disappeared".
fine.  I'm reasonably flexible (or so I think ;-) about moving things around.

> I suggest that the README.configure text should mention the actual
> preprocessor variables affected by the various --enable-* and --disable-*
> and maybe --with-* options, at least for the simpler cases (it may be too
> much for --with-screen).  For example
ok - that sounds reasonable.

>   --disable-full-paths                 (prevent defining LONG_LIST)
>         Use this option to control whether full utility pathnames are used.
>         By default, configure substitutes full pathnames.
>
>   --disable-long-list                  (define NO_PARENT_DIR_REFERENCE)
>         Use this option to disable long "ls -l" directory listings.
>
> Also I would prefer those -D flags to still be mentioned in makefile.in,
> maybe with just one line for each:
ok (that's why I add the comments in config.hin).

> Ok. Do my suggestions sound reasonable for this?
sure.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden