LYNX-DEV bug or feature? (403)

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: LYNX-DEV bug or feature? (403)
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 00:40:09 -0400 (EDT)

I just tried downloading a file from my public_html dir to a remote system.
I discovered the file was not readable.
(There is a link to it in my web page.  In fact, it was my copy of
fotemods.zip.  See http://www.intac.com/~leaves/, link 11.  I'll leave this
old page up for a few days in case someone wants to try fixing
this bug.)

What I saw when I tried to download it:
After hitting d I got the following:
Alert!: HTTP/1.0 403 Forbidden
(something about text/html)

I then got the Lynx Download Options page.
I selected "Save to disk" and it asked for a filename,
with fotemods.zip as the default.  I hit ENTER and it
copied the following to fotemods.zip:

<!-- X-URL: http://www.intac.com/~leaves/fotemods.zip -->
<BASE HREF="http://www.intac.com/~leaves/fotemods.zip";>

<HEAD><TITLE>Forbidden</TITLE></HEAD>
<BODY><H1>Forbidden</H1>
You don't have permission to access /~leaves/fotemods.zip
on this server.<P>
</BODY>

The version of lynx I was running was fotemods 8/7/97.
(I haven't tried the devel code lately.)

What I think it should do is render the above html and not
put up the Download page at all.

Thought i'd pass it along.
--le

;