Re: LYNX-DEV Download recovery for lynx?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Download recovery for lynx?
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 12:10:58 +0100 (BST)

> Is it possible for lynx to resume download interrupted files instead of
> starting all over? If not, I think this is something to work on.  I mean,
> Windows users already has the GetRight plugin for d/l recovery,
> UNIX/VMS/etc. users deserves better.

If the file is available by ftp (and it probably should be, but is
increasingly less likely to be) and you are using Unix, the de facto
position (its actually a protocol violation) is that the standard ftp
client will allow transfers to be restarted.  I've yet to find a Windows
ftp client that does this, so I think you should also complain as to
why you can't restart ftps in Windows.

Restart on HTTP is a recent bolt on (mainly because people are going
pure http) and relies on a header that is definetely not in HTTP 1.0,
although it might be in HTTP 1.1.  HTTP was originally intened for
efficiently fetching relatively small documents, where the overhead of
setting up an ftp connection was too great.

I'll leave it to others to say whether Lynx could easily restart HTTP,
although I suspect it might break the layering of the software.

Note, if you have a static IP address, you can usually restart by leaving
the connection running across the redial - TCP/IP was never intended to
use dynamic addresses.
;
;