Re: LYNX-DEV bug or "feature"? :-)

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV bug or "feature"? :-)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 19:20:49 -0400 (EDT)

> I assume you are have compiled lynx with the Slang library.
> Slang opens "/dev/tty" (NOT /dev/tty1 or whatever the specific device file
> is) and reads user input from that new file descriptor (as long as Lynx
> remains in curses-on mode).  I expect you'll find the same behavior in
> other slang applications.
>
> There's nothing I can think of lynx can (or should) do about this.
> You may want to talk to the slang author about it, if you think it is a
> serious enough problem.  However, you can compile lynx with ncurses, which
> doesn't have this behavior (well at least on my system).  Note that color
It shouldn't - part of the requirements for SVr4 curses is that you can
redirect the screen output, another part requires the inputs to be
set (effectively) from stdin (though it's possible to initialize the
screen from other file pointers, Lynx doesn't initialize any other way
than initscr).  So SVr4 curses (and ncurses) don't mess with /dev/tty.

-- btw, the complaint a week or so ago on VMS is complementary - the
   application should be opening sys$command, not sys$input (since the
   former is going to operate interactively).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden