Re: LYNX-DEV frames/noframes and lynx on the web

From: Jason Baker
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV frames/noframes and lynx on the web
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 14:04:13 -0700

On August 13, Jacob Poon wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Joe Kincaid wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >   There was recently some discussion of the tendency of HTML authors and
> > packages to put unfriendly "upgrade your browser to mine" messages in the
> > <NOFRAMES> section of a frames page. Well, on the other side of the coin,
> > I found a very friendly page at this URL. It made my day to see it and I
> > thought I would share it with you.

[snip]

> Checked this page, it said that site was tested under Lynx 2.7, but I
> don't aware lynx has ever supported frames.  Anyway it wasn't exactly
> friendly message either.

Lynx 2.7(.1?) does, in that it gives you the frames links to select from
easily.

I also thought that it was very polite, considering the usual result
is one of:
 1) nothing
 2) derogatory message (if you see this messge, your browser sucks and
    you're l00s3r for not having Microscape Intercommunicator Webstomper
    97.2alpha-2!)
 3) "This page uses frames."  Well, duh.

For those not interested in goign to see it, here's what I get:
-----
 Books Online From Soda Creek Press: Bargain Book Warehouse, Mysteries By Mail,

   FRAME: NAV
   FRAME: RIGHT

                           This site requires frames

   If you wish to shop here you'll need to be using a browser that
   supports frames.

   We've tested this site using:
     * Netscape Navigator(3.x and 4.x) which you can download here.
     * Lynx 2.7, with which you can download a binary for almost any
       platform (most popular Unixes and unpopular ones, too, VMS, DOS,
       Win32 and even a beta of a Macintosh version) or you can download
       the source code and compile and install it yourself.
     * Microsoft's Internet Explorer (version 3 or better) ....
----

The product names are all links to download pages, as is "source code".
These folks put some actual work into it, I think it should be commended.
Maybe they aren't bowing and scraping and offering their firstborn as
an apology for using frames, but that'd be excessive. :)

Jason

--
 address@hidden                         |   PGP key available
 Systems Administrator, Information Systems         |   from MIT keyserver.

                A computer, to print out a fact,
                Will divide, multiply, and subtract.
                        But this output can be
                        No more than debris,