Re: LYNX-DEV home page

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV home page
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 21:53:31 -0400 (EDT)

> From address@hidden Wed Aug 13 21:23:04 1997
> Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 17:27:11 -0700 (PDT)
> To: address@hidden
> From: address@hidden
> Subject: LYNX-DEV home page
> How do I set the default home page in Lynx??  I created a file called .lynxrc
> and
> put "http://hermes.office.efn.org"; in it, but that doesn't work.

First of all, .lynxrc does not specify the start file.
.lynxrc is a file generated by lynx when you save options on
the options page.  (Use the O command to bring up the options page.)

There are 3 ways to specify your start file:

1) on the command line
        lynx http://hermes.office.efn.org/
2) environment variable: execute the following before running lynx:
        WWW_HOME=http://hermes.office.efn.org/
        export WWW_HOME
   This sets the value of WWW_HOME in your environment to the given value.
   Lynx checks this variable to set the startfile.
3) modify lynx.cfg.   lynx.cfg is a global configuration file read by lynx
   at startup.  It is usually installed in /usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg.
   Copy thsi file, change the setting for STARTFILE, save to some file, say
   mylynx.cfg, then run
        lynx -cfg mylynx.cfg ...
   (To avoid going through this trouble yourself, you
   could alwyas ask your sys admin to reset STARTFILE for you in
   /usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg.  Then you woulnd't need to use the -cfg option.)

Hope that answers your question.
--le

;
;