Re: LYNX-DEV http://lynx.browser.org/

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV http://lynx.browser.org/
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:29:56 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487) wrote:
>In regards to the occasional request here on how to find the lynx.cfg file,
>is there a way that perhaps lynx could let folk know, perhaps within the
>-help option, where it 'thinks' the lynx.cfg should be?  This could solve
>two problems - one, telling folk where to find it on systems where they were
>not the compiler of the code and two, telling folk where the file should
>be placed in cases where they are using a binary version of lynx downloaded
>from the net.

        I'll add a "Loading cfg file '%s'." trace message, which will appear
with the other "Loading foo file '%s'" messages in the trace log when Lynx
is invoked with the -trace switch.  That information is security related,
and should be available only to users with shell access.  Captive (no-shell)
users can toggle on trace mode (^T) and use the TRACE_LOG command, but
that will not include the startup configuration info (unless -trace was
used on the command line).

        I'm not sure what's the best way to show the default compilation
location for people who get binaries, but they should be setting a
LYNX_CFG enviroment variable in that case, and not relying on someone
else's compilation default.

                                Fote