Re: LYNX-DEV News:*

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV News:*
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 10:32:07 -0500 (EST)

Jason Everett <address@hidden> wrote:
>I was playing with the news part of lynx and when I access the URL "news:";
>it comes up with this page:
>File that you are currently viewing
>
>   Linkname: Newsgroups
>
>It has an html list of item, none that point to an actual news group
>however.  I have been trying to find this file or what it is accessing.
>Any help?  Thanks!

        The default path for news URLs is '*', which means a linked
list of newsgroups available from your nntp server, obtained by a
LIST NEWSGROUPS nntp command to it.  If your list does not correspond
to your nntp server's news groups, that's surprising, because it's
what your server reported to Lynx.  Note that the list may not be
complete, because your server may report only groups which it handles
directly, or may put bounds on the length of it's reply.  If there
is a "news.group" you know your server carries, and you want a linked
listing of currently available articles in that group, make the URL

Also read "Supported URLs" in the Lynx online 'h'elp.

                                Fote