Re: Strange escapes (was Re: Strange error with numbered lists nesting)

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: Strange escapes (was Re: Strange error with numbered lists nesting) LYNX-DEV
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 10:48:49 +0900 (JST)

> > by "$Bm<(JLI>" or "$By<(JLI>" I assume you meant "<LI>", and
> > "$Bi<(J/OL>" or "$Bm<(J/OL>",
>
> there are no such escape codes in Hynek's page.  They must be an artifact
> of whatever you (or Lynx?) did to get his page onto your system, and view
> it in an environment set up for Japanese.  Some transformation has

They or similar ones are there, I suspect, but in a different position.
I retrieved his page with Lynx by hitting `d' on the URL for the page
and saving to disk.  I then edited the file with vi, from the Unix prompt,
not the `e' command in Lynx.  After `correcting' all occurrences of
"$Bm<(JLI>" etc. to "<LI>", the page displayed in Lynx in the manner I think
Hynek intended.  As I write this e-mail using vi within Unix mail, " $Bm<(J "
(separated from the quotes by a single space on either side) appears as
a single Kanji (6D3C in SJIS).  I know Fote is going to chastise the heck
out of me for not ever learning how Japanese coding works, but anyway,
upstream of 6D3C is "something" (I assumed the escape code " $B ".)
which on my "environment set up for Japanese" will not allow me to simply
split that into 6D ("m") and 3C ("<").  Between the 6D and 3C has to come
"something" (normally " (J " ) to shut off the 8-bit coding.  Often, but
not always, a return (0D) or space (20) will do this, thus my recommendation
to Hynek, who I thought might be working in a similar environment.

> I saw the first string as "Bm<LI>".  There's no telling how they may
> get displayed on somebody else' system or in the lynx-dev archives.
> And I have no idea how they look on your (Japanese) system.

Well, the B is not seen since it is part of the escape sequence `^[$B'
(using a caret and brace, not a real esc) telling the Japanese system
to read the next two characters not as `m' (6D) and `<' (3C) but as the
Kanji for `body' (6D3C).  When I cut out and pasted "$Bm<(JLI>", the system
here added the `^[$B'.  There's no telling, except that they were upstream,
where they were originally in Hynek's document.

> The original problem had nothing to do with this, Hynek was running
> into a hard limit of max listing level, and Fote has already raised
> that limit in the fotemods code.

This was not my experience.  After I replaced all (and there were a
correctly, i.e., I got correct indentation and no negative numbers.
I'm still using lynx2-7-1+fotemods[97-07-05]/slang.  Nesting was no
more than 4 deep?  (I've since rm'd the file.)

__Henry
;
;