Re: LYNX-DEV command line invocation & searchpart.

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV command line invocation & searchpart.
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 05:21:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Michael Warner wrote:

> > lynx http://host:port/path?name=value
> >
> > But what I find is that lynx complains with an error mesage:
> >
> > http://host:port/path: No such file or directory

That error message doesn't come from Lynx but (probably) from the shell.

Jeff with the original problem has since replied to me but not to the list
that he had a wrapper script around lynx and that removing that
wrapper also removed the problem.

> When I use a start URL with a '?' in it, I escape it with a backslash,
> thus - http://host/path\?name=value - and it seems to work.
>
> This is on Digital Unix 4.0, using a tcsh shell, lynx version
> 2.7.1ac-0.38 currently (but it's been that way since 2.6 or whenever
> it was I started compiling my own).
>
> If anyone knows how to avoid the necessity, I'd also be happy
> to learn, since I keep forgetting to escape the '?' and then waste
> time cursing the fates until I remember.  Happened just yesterday, in
> fact.

1) Use a different shell, for example bash :)

2) `man tcsh', look for `noglob', `nonomatch'.

   Klaus

;
;