Re: LYNX-DEV problem with lynx-49/50

From: Dima Ruban
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV problem with lynx-49/50
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 13:47:34 -0700 (PDT)

Klaus Weide writes:
> On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, Dima Ruban wrote:
>
> > Hi guys!
> >
> > There's a problem with two latest lynx releases (snapshots).
> > It shows extra-line when handling <LI>
> > (Try http://www.best.com/~ggg/ with any old version of lynx and
> > with new version - you'll see the difference)
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Your <LI>s are not within any kind of list structure (<UL>, <OL>, ..).
> Instead, you have put the whole mess in a <PRE>, where block elements
> aren't allowed at all.  I suggest you try to use valid HTML.

Thank you for a quick respond.
This is not my HTML :-) I'm doing system administration on this machine,
and recently upgraded old lynx version which was installed on this machine
to the new version. Next day I've got email from one of my users
complaining about extra space lines.
It was something like "It didn't show any extra lines before, and
now it does. Also if I'm trying to use netscape - then it doesn't
show extra spaces either, so why don't you fix it?" ;-(

That's exactly why I've emailed my question to the mailing list.

> The development code's SortaSGML parser treats this as if the <PRE>
> wasn't there at all.  The "traditional" lynx parsing does something
> else.  Both fall under error recovery.  With the devel code you can
> switch to an alternative parsing mode (more or less the same as the
> TagSoup parsing from the fotemods code) with the ^V key.  For valid
> HTML you shouldn't see a difference (except possibly for the handling
> of </P> in some cases).
>
> > -- dima
> > P.S. I'm not subscribed to lynx-dev mailing list, so please reply
> > to me directly.
>
> You can also read replies in the mailing list archives.
>
>       Klaus

-- dima
;
;