LYNX-DEV Re: Regarding lynx2.7.1ac-0.50.tar.gz

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Regarding lynx2.7.1ac-0.50.tar.gz
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 17:02:06 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

about the lynx code.  If you are not subscribed to the list, you can
still read messages in the archives at <URL:http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/>.
I am cc'ing a copy to the list.

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, RamNarayan S wrote:

> +-[ WARNING ]--------------------------------------------------+
> | Contents of this mail  designed to be read by a mail  reader |
> | with its  text  viewing  window  atleast  80  columns  wide. |
> | Contents appear garbled if mail reader doesn't conform.      |
> +--------------------------------------------------------------+

So you don't expect to be quoted much  :)

> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded and compiled lynx development  version  2.7.1ac-0.50 and I
> would like to inform you of an odd behaviour.
>
> My system configuration is as follows
>
> HP-UX  A.09.03  with gcc 2.7.1  (though I have slang and  ncurses,  I am not
> building them in). Term is xterm.
>
> Whenever I invoke lynx, I don't seem to get the reverse video  indication on
> my active link.  I have to enable `show cursor' to see where I am.

I don't know details about the various HP-UX platforms, others can probably
give you a better reply.

You should get the current link in reverse, but it is possible that
there is some mismatch between the terminal and the terminfo or
termcap entry for your terminal type.  Maybe you have to experiment
with various terminal types (like `lynx -term=...') to find the right
one.

Also check the Options screen.  If configure has determined that your
curses supports color, you will find a field there for turning color
on or off, try changing that.

> Reverse  video appears on the last line  indicating  the address of the link
> that is active. I use Advanced user mode.

So the terminal is capable of doing reverse, but maybe the curses
supports only STANDOUT?  (seems a bit unlikely, I think.)

Well it should work more reasonable even with that.
There is some special case code in LYCurses.h, after the line

   #if defined(SNAKE) && defined(HP_TERMINAL)

I am not sure whether that is needed or why it is there.  I'd just
remove that section and see what happens :)

> Things are fine in  v2.7.1,  but I run into some  problems  with some  sites
> where I cannot properly  display the character ".  It shows up as &#34 which
> surely translates into ".

Please give an example for this.

> Thanks,
>
> RamNarayan S