Re: LYNX-DEV [BUTTON], embedded music, java applets

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV [BUTTON], embedded music, java applets
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 10:16:39 +0100 (BST)

> I have a feature suggestion - actually two of them.
>
> At first, it's (probably Netscapian) INPUT TYPE="button" - at

TYPE=BUTTON is HTML 4.0, although I don't have the draft with me to check
whether this is a legal use.  The intention is that it provides a non-image
mapped (that's how I read it) graphic button, but one which will be animated
by the browser.  The button can either be a submit or reset button, or
can invoke local scripting. (The reset button would solve one of my marketing
departments demands that there should be a reset button but there mustn't be
any text buttons, if it weren't for backward compatibility (I won't say who
I work for, as I've failed to convince them that their market might ever
include Lynx users).

onClick="remoteStart('http://www.ctlsg.creaf.com/files/creative/drivers/3db/3dpw95up.exe');">.

> I think it wouldn't be that hard to make a link from it.

The example given involves JavaScript.  You are left with the question of
whether you do JavaScript properly, or do you introduce a series of hacks
which recognize common idioms (such idioms will become more common as people
exclusively use authoring tools).  My feeling is that one should do it
properly, or not at all.

Submit and Reset BUTTONs do need to be supported, as they are going to
be very attractive to the sort of designer that only designs for the
latest browser (like most of them), as soon as HTML 4 browsers get any
market penetration.

From my point of view, JavaScript will have to happen when the major search
engines abandon text mode support (their default pages are beginning to
look very ragged in text mode now).  In the meantime, the pages that need
it tend to be commercial advertising or vanity publishing.  Pages with real
content tend to get by with much cleaner HTML.

> And what about lynx supporting embedded MIDI music, and java applets etc.
> the same way it is done with images, i.e., make a link from it and let the
> user define his external viewer (playmidi/timidity and appletviewer from
> the Java development toolkit) ?

I'd have less problem with Java except that only the most gimmicky of ones
are likely to work without extensive support from the browser to allow
access to non-Java parts of the page.

I don't think there is any standard for MIDI yet, and although one could
do the de facto ones, I wouldn't want to give it much prioerity.
;
;