Re: LYNX-DEV the patch

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV the patch
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 09:10:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Jay Spradlin wrote:

> hey i got the new patch from august 15 from v2.7.1 to the better one...
> it was a *.diff.gz... so i ungzipped it and i came up with a text
> file... *.diff as an ascii text... i have unix so i type file (file)
> to see what type of file it is... how do i utilize this patch...
>                                         ToKeR!!

You don't say from where you got the .diff.gz file, so I'll assume it
is from the patch-o-matic form at

You would normally use the "patch" command to apply the diff to your
existing 2.7.1 sources.  If you have "patch", you should also have
the man page for it available.  However, if you are unfamiliar with
using patch, OR for making a big jump (like 2.7.1 -> current devel code),
you probably shouldn't use the diff but instead get the full package
of the devel code from <URL: http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/>.
That page is automatically updated from the same code repository
as the patch-o-matic (with a possible delay of up to 12 hours).
The current latest version of the code is 2.7.1ac-0.51.

The diffs may be useful for people who upgrade often in smaller steps,
or for just inspecting what has changed recently.  They are generated
automatically and should be correct, but AFAIK nobody is testing whether
upgrading, say, from 2.7.1 to the most recent code works without problems
with them.  (There _might_ be problems for files which are renamed, I
think.)

     Klaus

;
;