Re: LYNX-DEV new release?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV new release?
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 10:58:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, T.E.Dickey wrote:

> > I haven't seen any talk of putting out a new release lately.
> > Is anyone thinking of putting out a 2.7.2, 2.8, or 3.0?
> > A lot has happened in the past 5 months, and 2.7.1, the
> > last "official" release doesn't even contain the fix to
> > the form bug (which I for one think was an important fix).
> > Just wondering...

> It's more/less up to Klaus, as far as I'm concerned.  I have a half-dozen
> small things to polish off (but have been preparing a large change for another
> program).

Well, as far as I am concerned - for making the "devel" code into a
non-devel "release" there are a number of things to be done.

First my own list (which isn't supposed to make sense to everybody).
- Review and change string translation stuff in LYCharUtils.c, to finally
  make all kinds of charsets work in attributes.  Pain ita.
  Probably means lots of changes throughout HTML.c, possibly elsewhere.
- Change character translation table mechanism to fall back to "default"
  table, to avoid repetition of common stuff in all tables.
- Review "internal links" stuff, make it at least so that it can be turned
  off at compilation time.  HText_AreDifferent stuff.

More general, things where work by the list or least input is required.
- What to do about the two ways of parsing.  Keep both (and find a better
  key, command line switch, document); or come up with a
  combined/compromise mode (or even both).
- What about the security stuff jss was working on?
- Documentation of installation procedures.  For example, the file
  INSTALLATION doesn't know anything about ./configure.
- Documentation of various things yet undocumented.
- More testing.

These are just my ideas of things to do, add to the list for important
omissions. There are always other things that can be or should be
added or improved or worked on...  (but probably should be postponed
for the sake of a "release").

  Klaus

;
;