Re: LYNX-DEV new release?

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV new release?
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 12:37:03 +0900 (JST)

> omissions. There are always other things that can be or should be
> added or improved or worked on...  (but probably should be postponed

Two items I've wanted to help with in the last two releases, but never
had the time -- still don't --, was reorganizing the top level directory
and putting the anonymous-specific defines in userdefs.h into their own
include file.

As for reorganizing the top level directory I could send the script
I use to mv things from about_lynx to help (renamed from lynx_help),
rm -r about_lynx, rm some stuff in docs and mv old CHANGES, *.announce,
etc. there, rm -r util/inews, and some other minor simplifications, but
it seems so trivial.  I could do the diff for lynx_help_main.html.
Let me know.

I don't know the correct way to move the anonymous stuff out, but if
you like what I've done then FWIW I append "anondefs.h" and diff -c
against userdefs.h (lynx2-7-1 + fotemods[97-07-04].

__Henry

*** anondefs.h (a newfile)
---
***************
/*
 * Lynx - Hypertext navigation system
 *
 *   (c) Copyright 1992, 1993, 1994 University of Kansas
 *       1995, 1996: GNU General Public License
 */

/*****************************
 * Enter the name of your anonymous account if you have one
 * as ANONYMOUS_USER.  UNIX systems will use a cuserid
 * or get_login call to determine if the current user is
 * the ANONYMOUS_USER.  VMS systems will use getenv("USER").
 *
 * You may use the "-anonymous" option for multiple accounts, or
 * for precautionary reasons in the anonymous account, as well.
 *
 * Specify privileges for the anonymous account below.
 *
 * It is very important to have this correctly defined or include
 * the "-anonymous" command line option for invokations of Lynx
 * in an anonymous account!  If you do not you will be putting
 * yourself at GREAT security risk!
 */
#define ANONYMOUS_USER ""

/*******************************
 * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
 * account to be able to telnet back out
 * INSIDE_DOMAIN: users calling from inside your local domain
 * OUTSIDE_DOMAIN: users calling from outside your local domain
 */
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_INSIDE_DOMAIN_TELNET      TRUE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_OUTSIDE_DOMAIN_TELNET     FALSE

/*******************************
 * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
 * account to be able to use ftp
 * INSIDE_DOMAIN: users calling from inside your local domain
 * OUTSIDE_DOMAIN: users calling from outside your local domain
 */
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_INSIDE_DOMAIN_FTP         TRUE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_OUTSIDE_DOMAIN_FTP        FALSE

/*******************************
 * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
 * account to be able to use rlogin
 * INSIDE_DOMAIN: users calling from inside your local domain
 * OUTSIDE_DOMAIN: users calling from outside your local domain
 */
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_INSIDE_DOMAIN_RLOGIN      TRUE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_OUTSIDE_DOMAIN_RLOGIN     FALSE

/*******************************
 * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
 * account to be able to read news
 * INSIDE_DOMAIN: users calling from inside your local domain
 * OUTSIDE_DOMAIN: users calling from outside your local domain
 */
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_INSIDE_DOMAIN_READ_NEWS   TRUE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_OUTSIDE_DOMAIN_READ_NEWS  FALSE

/*******************************
 * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
 * account to be able to goto random URLs. (The 'g' command)
 */
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO              TRUE

/*******************************
 * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
 * account to be able to goto particular URLs.
 */
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_CSO          FALSE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_FILE         FALSE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_FINGER       TRUE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_FTP          FALSE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_GOPHER       FALSE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_HTTP         TRUE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_HTTPS        TRUE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_LYNXCGI      FALSE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_LYNXEXEC     FALSE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_LYNXPROG     FALSE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_MAILTO       TRUE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_NEWS         FALSE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_NNTP         FALSE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_RLOGIN       FALSE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_SNEWS        FALSE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_TELNET       FALSE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_TN3270       FALSE
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_WAIS         TRUE

/*******************************
 * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
 * account to be able to specify a port in 'g'oto commands
 * for telnet URLs.
 */
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_TELNET_PORT  FALSE

/*******************************
 * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
 * account to be able to jump to URLs (The 'J' command)
 * via the shortcut entries in your JUMPFILE.
 */
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_JUMP      FALSE

/*******************************
 * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
 * account to be able to mail
 */
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_MAIL      TRUE

/*******************************
 * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
 * account to be able to print
 */
#define CAN_ANONYMOUS_PRINT     FALSE

#if defined(EXEC_LINKS) || defined(EXEC_SCRIPTS)

/*****************************
 * if LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ALWAYS_OFF_FOR_ANONYMOUS is
 * true all execution links will be disabled when the
 * -anonymous command line option is used.  Anonymous
 * users are not allowed to change the execution options
 * from within the Lynx options menu so you might be able
 * to use this option to enable execution links and set
 * LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ON_BUT_NOT_REMOTE to TRUE to
 * give anonymous execution link capability without compromising
 * your system (see comments about TRUSTED_EXEC rules in
 * lynx.cfg for more information).
 *
 */
#define LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ALWAYS_OFF_FOR_ANONYMOUS TRUE

#endif /*  defined(EXEC_LINKS) || defined(EXEC_SCRIPTS) */

*** userdefs.h.dist     Sun Aug 17 12:08:18 1997
--- userdefs.h  Sun Aug 17 12:07:38 1997
***************
*** 398,409 ****

  /*****************************
   * If USE_TRACE_LOG is set FALSE, then when TRACE mode is invoked the
!  * syserr messages will not be directed to a log file named lynx.trace
!  * in the account's HOME directory.  The default defined here can be
!  * toggled via the -tlog command line switch.  Also, it is set FALSE
!  * automatically when Lynx is executed in an anonymous or validation
!  * account (if indicated via the -anonymous or -validate command line
!  * switches, or via the check for the ANONYMOUS_USER, defined below).
   * When FALSE, the TRACE_LOG command (normally ';') cannot be used to
   * examine the Lynx Trace Log during the current session.  If left
   * TRUE, but you wish to use command line piping of stderr to a file
--- 398,409 ----

  /*****************************
   * If USE_TRACE_LOG is set FALSE, then when TRACE mode is invoked the
!  * syserr messages will not be directed to a log file named lynx.trace in
!  * the account's HOME directory.  The default defined here can be toggled
!  * via the -tlog command line switch.  Also, it is set FALSE automatically
!  * when Lynx is executed in an anonymous or validation account (if indicated
!  * via the -anonymous or -validate command line * switches, or via the check
!  * for the ANONYMOUS_USER, defined in "anondefs.h" described below).
   * When FALSE, the TRACE_LOG command (normally ';') cannot be used to
   * examine the Lynx Trace Log during the current session.  If left
   * TRUE, but you wish to use command line piping of stderr to a file
***************
*** 765,788 ****
  #define ALERTSECS 3

  /*****************************
!  * Enter the name of your anonymous account if you have one
!  * as ANONYMOUS_USER.  UNIX systems will use a cuserid
!  * or get_login call to determine if the current user is
!  * the ANONYMOUS_USER.  VMS systems will use getenv("USER").
!  *
!  * You may use the "-anonymous" option for multiple accounts,
!  * or for precautionary reasons in the anonymous account,
!  * as well.
!  *
!  * It is very important to have this correctly defined or include
!  * the "-anonymous" command line option for invokations of Lynx
!  * in an anonymous account!  If you do not you will be putting
!  * yourself at GREAT security risk!
!  *
!  * Later on in this file you can specify privileges for the
!  * anonymous account.
   */
! #define ANONYMOUS_USER ""

  /******************************
   * SHOW_CURSOR controls whether or not the cursor is hidden or appears
--- 765,776 ----
  #define ALERTSECS 3

  /*****************************
!  * If you plan to set up an anonymous account for Lynx users or
!  * to use the "-anonymous" option for multiple accounts, it is
!  * imperative that you edit the file "anondefs.h" to set the user
!  * name, ANONYMOUS_USER, and specify privileges for the account.
   */
! #include "anondefs.h"

  /******************************
   * SHOW_CURSOR controls whether or not the cursor is hidden or appears
***************
*** 818,934 ****
  #define LY_UMLAUT

  /*******************************
-  * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous account
-  * who are calling from inside your local domain
-  * to be able to telnet back out
-  */
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_INSIDE_DOMAIN_TELNET    TRUE
-
- /*******************************
-  * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
-  * account who are calling from outside your
-  * local domain to be able to telnet back out
-  */
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_OUTSIDE_DOMAIN_TELNET   TRUE
-
- /*******************************
-  * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous account
-  * who are calling from inside your local domain
-  * to be able to read news
-  */
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_INSIDE_DOMAIN_READ_NEWS TRUE
-
- /*******************************
-  * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
-  * account who are calling from outside your
-  * local domain to be able to read news
-  */
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_OUTSIDE_DOMAIN_READ_NEWS        FALSE
-
- /*******************************
-  * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
-  * account who are calling from inside your local domain
-  * to be able to use ftp
-  */
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_INSIDE_DOMAIN_FTP               TRUE
-
- /*******************************
-  * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
-  * account who are calling from outside your local domain
-  * to be able to use ftp
-  */
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_OUTSIDE_DOMAIN_FTP      TRUE
-
- /*******************************
-  * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
-  * account who are calling from inside your local domain
-  * to be able to use rlogin
-  */
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_INSIDE_DOMAIN_RLOGIN    TRUE
-
- /*******************************
-  * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
-  * account who are calling from outside your local domain
-  * to be able to use rlogin
-  */
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_OUTSIDE_DOMAIN_RLOGIN   TRUE
-
- /*******************************
-  * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
-  * account to be able to goto random URLs. (The 'g' command)
-  */
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO            TRUE
-
- /*******************************
-  * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
-  * account to be able to goto particular URLs.
-  */
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_CSO                TRUE
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_FILE               TRUE
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_FINGER     TRUE
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_FTP                TRUE
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_GOPHER     TRUE
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_HTTP               TRUE
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_HTTPS      TRUE
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_LYNXCGI    TRUE
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_LYNXEXEC   TRUE
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_LYNXPROG   TRUE
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_MAILTO     TRUE
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_NEWS               TRUE
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_NNTP               TRUE
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_RLOGIN     TRUE
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_SNEWS      TRUE
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_TELNET     TRUE
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_TN3270     TRUE
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_WAIS               TRUE
-
- /*******************************
-  * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
-  * account to be able to specify a port in 'g'oto commands
-  * for telnet URLs.
-  */
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_TELNET_PORT        FALSE
-
- /*******************************
-  * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
-  * account to be able to jump to URLs (The 'J' command)
-  * via the shortcut entries in your JUMPFILE.
-  */
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_JUMP    TRUE
-
- /*******************************
-  * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
-  * account to be able to mail
-  */
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_MAIL    TRUE
-
- /*******************************
-  * set to FALSE if you don't want users of your anonymous
-  * account to be able to print
-  */
- #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_PRINT   FALSE
-
- /*******************************
   * Execution links/scripts configuration.
   *
   * Execution links and scripts allow you to run
--- 806,811 ----
***************
*** 1060,1080 ****
   * LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ALWAYS_ON will be FALSE
   * if NEVER_ALLOW_REMOTE_EXEC has been defined.
   *
!  * if LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ALWAYS_OFF_FOR_ANONYMOUS is
!  * true all execution links will be disabled when the
!  * -anonymous command line option is used.  Anonymous
!  * users are not allowed to change the execution options
!  * from within the Lynx options menu so you might be able
!  * to use this option to enable execution links and set
!  * LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ON_BUT_NOT_REMOTE to TRUE to
!  * give anonymous execution link capability without compromising
!  * your system (see comments about TRUSTED_EXEC rules in
!  * lynx.cfg for more information).
   *
   */
  #define LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ALWAYS_ON          FALSE
  #define LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ON_BUT_NOT_REMOTE  FALSE
- #define LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ALWAYS_OFF_FOR_ANONYMOUS FALSE

  #endif /*  defined(EXEC_LINKS) || defined(EXEC_SCRIPTS) */

--- 937,949 ----
   * LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ALWAYS_ON will be FALSE
   * if NEVER_ALLOW_REMOTE_EXEC has been defined.
   *
!  * all execution links can be disabled for anonymous users
!  * by setting LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ALWAYS_OFF_FOR_ANONYMOUS
!  * to TRUE (the default) in "anondefs.h".
   *
   */
  #define LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ALWAYS_ON          FALSE
  #define LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ON_BUT_NOT_REMOTE  FALSE

  #endif /*  defined(EXEC_LINKS) || defined(EXEC_SCRIPTS) */

> for the sake of a "release").
>
>   Klaus
>

> ;
> ; To UNSUBSCRIBE:  Send a mail message to address@hidden
> ;                  with "unsubscribe lynx-dev" (without the
> ;                  quotation marks) on a line by itself.
> ;

;
;