Re: LYNX-DEV new release?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV new release?
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 08:03:29 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Laura Eaves wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 10:58:53 -0500 (CDT)
> > From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
> > More general, things where work by the list or least input is required.
> > - What to do about the two ways of parsing.  Keep both (and find a better
> >   key, command line switch, document); or come up with a
> >   combined/compromise mode (or even both).
>
> I don't have a preference on which parser is "best" as i've run
> into some pages that work better with one parser and others that work
> better with the other.  However I have observed that the parser in "fotemods"
> behaves differently than the "old parser" in the devel code -- perhaps some
> fine tuning by fote not picked up for the devel code.  (Sorry I don't
> remember the URLs.)

I would be interested to know where that happened.

> As for how to invoke the 2 parsers, I prefer a keystroke to a command
> line option so the user can switch back and forth between the different
> parsers.

Currently there is no way to "switch" for lynx -dump.
The ^V key also isn't the best choice for an "official" key.
It is often set to be the stty lnext character, which seems to have
the effect that one has to press it *twice* on some systems, if lynx
is compile with (n)curses.  (Tom, is there anything to do about this?)
Also ^V may be a bit dangerously close to ^C  :)

Other opinions?

> > These are just my ideas of things to do, add to the list for important
> > omissions. There are always other things that can be or should be
> > added or improved or worked on...  (but probably should be postponed
> > for the sake of a "release").
>
> I just grabbed and built ac-0.51 and I find I am still unable to
> configure --with-color-style=slang.  Confingure dies saying color styles
> aren't supported (or something like that).  Am I doing something wrong?
> Also, if I run configure --with-color-style=slang, do I also need to specify
> --with-screen=slang?

1.) There is no `--with-color-style=slang', at least not any more...
    As far as I know it has never worked, and probably will never work
    unless Rob Partington takes the initiative, or Tom somehow makes it
    work.  I wasn't sure what it was supposed to do anyway.
2.) The whole color-style thing isn't really supported, it's there for you
    to try and use if it works for you.  It is usable for me, or was when
    I last tried it, together --with-screen=ncurses, but with various
    glitches. But how well it works or doesn't work should not have
    anything to do with whether the devel code is fit for a "release".
    The unsupported nature should probably be made more clear in
    README.configure (and any not yet written other instructions).

> And even if I did get color styles to build, I don't know how to use it.
> Are there docs anywhere?

There are no docs as far as I know, except a few messages you may find in
the list archives, and a few comments in the .lss file.  YOu have to
experiment, or maybe ask Rob.

> Also, back to the old COLOR settings, no one has changed the default COLOR
> settings in either fotemods or ac*.  (alas -- just anohter request/reminder).
> Also, I again suggest putting the color specs in the options menu instead of
> lynx.cfg.  I have some time on my hands and could do it myself if no one has
> time, but only if other people want it done...)

The default colors work well enough for some people or terminals and not
for others.  There will never one set of setting that is best for all.

If you really want to see that change and have that time on your hands and
have an idea how to do it without wasting 8 lines on the options screen,
you'll probably do it without asking people to ask you first...
A general extension of the Options screen to more than one screenful
would probably be more useful.

      Klaus

;
;