LYNX-DEV soft hyphens (was: fotemods.zip update)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV soft hyphens (was: fotemods.zip update)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 19:03:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       An update of fotemods.zip is available in:
>
>       http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/patches/
>
> 1997-08-17
> * Tweaks in print_wwwfile_to_fd() and print_crawl_to_fd() to handle soft
>   hyphens at the ends of output lines. - KW & FM

By the way, I _think_ the fotemods code (and, by virtue of using the same
code, the devel code) is attempting to support the 'decorative' use of
­ (for display of a hyphen-like character instead of line breaking),
in situations when it's not in a word.  (I was quite sure, but couldn't
find an entry about it in FOTEMODS or CHANGES when I just looked.)
I could never get an non-braking ­ to have any effect.  Does it not
work as expected, or do you have an example showing the use?

I don't necessarily miss that support though :) since the <SHY> tag is now
treated like a &shy; it would probably mean that sometimes <SHY> also
would result in display of a '-' in the middle of a line when it
shouldn't.

         Klaus

;
;