Re: LYNX-DEV sol.slcc.edu is unreachable too often...

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV sol.slcc.edu is unreachable too often...
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 18:54:59 -0600

Andrey A. Chernov <address@hidden> writes:
>What happens with it? Maybe we need to host development version on more
>stable location?

sol.slcc.edu should be availible 24 X 7 (twenty four hours a day, seven days
a week) except for breif, minor, and infrequent maintainence. If you are
having trouble reaching it a lot, I would suspect that some site between
you and I is at fault. I would tell you to let me know if you find it not
reachable, but since I use it for email and shell access, I not only would
likely know before you, but would have no way to get your message.

If others are having trouble reaching this machine, I would certainly like
to know. Perhaps, if it is a geograpically related problem, a mirror in the
effected region would be an excellent idea.

If someone can not sol.slcc.edu, and suspect it may be down, I would suggest
trying some of the following sites. If they all respond, and sol doesn't, then
it is reasonable to suppose it is at fault, otherwise, it is likely a problem
with intermediate sites.

Nearby sites:

https://onaccess.slcc.edu/cfpor/colltdir.htm
   This is a URL (requires HTTPS support!) for our college telephone directory.
   It is housed on a system in the next room from where sol.slcc.edu lives. If
   it responds and sol.slcc.edu does not, then sol is almost surely at fault.
   If you can't reach onaccess or sol, then it is definately NOT sol's fault.

http://atc.slcc.edu/
   A minor server in the same building as sol.slcc.edu. Again, if this works
   sol fails, the fault is likely with sol. If you can't reach it or sol, then
   again, it is almost surely NOT sol's fault.

http://www.utah.edu/
   This is the University of Utah, and is nearby both geographically, and
   network wise. If this fails too, the fault is almost surely NOT with sol.

http://www.uswest.com/
   US West provides us T1 access. If you can't reach them, you won't be able
   to reach that T1, right? This site is mearly indicative. If you can't reach
   either sol or uswest, it is almost surely a network problem. If you can
   reach uswest, it may still be a network problem. If you can't reach uswest,
   but can reach sol, you're coming down our other T1.

Anyway, these are not exhaustive, but may help some users who are having
trouble reaching sol to diagnose the problem. If http to sol fails, but ping
works, then do send me email! If both fail, and all the above sites work, then
send email to address@hidden and hope I decide to check there (assuming I
too an unable to reach sol).

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,