Re: LYNX-DEV soft hyphens (was: fotemods.zip update)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV soft hyphens (was: fotemods.zip update)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 20:59:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       I don't follow what you're saying/asking.

Not too surprising, since I was completely wrong :(.  I was "quite sure"
that the code was supposed to do something which in fact it was never
supposed to do (but which was something which had been briefly discussed
or proposed a long time ago).  This was based on a too superficial look
at the code and the comments.  Now that I have looked again and read your
reply I don't quite understand how I could misread it that way.  Please
disregard the previous note.

>       I didn't include your highlight() mod in LYUtils.c.  That's another
> ambiguous case, and my preference is to leave clear that's it's a soft
> hyphen in a link name that's been split to two lines, because for example,
> you won't get a hit for it if you include a hyphen at the end of a string
> that includes the end of the first, split, line in the link name (but
> others are likely to see both as bugs, not a features :).

I made that change to get the *same* behavior with (n)curses as with
slang.  I actually liked it how the '-' was not highlighted.  With curses,
hightlight() would eat the '-'.  The addch man page says "A  newline also
does a clrtoeol() before moving", apparently slang doesn't do this so you
may not have noticed.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same things, here's a stupid
example for 80 column display:

<P>Text text text text text text text text text
text text tex text <A HREF=somewhere> li&shy;nk </A> word text text text.

    Klaus

;
;