Re: LYNX-DEV new release?

From: Matthew Kelly
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV new release?
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 23:18:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > > More general, things where work by the list or least input is required.
> > > - What to do about the two ways of parsing.  Keep both (and find a better
> > >   key, command line switch, document); or come up with a
> > >   combined/compromise mode (or even both).
> >
> > I don't have a preference on which parser is "best" as i've run
> > into some pages that work better with one parser and others that work
> > better with the other.  However I have observed that the parser in
> > "fotemods"
> > behaves differently than the "old parser" in the devel code -- perhaps some
> > fine tuning by fote not picked up for the devel code.  (Sorry I don't
> > remember the URLs.)
>
> I would be interested to know where that happened.
>
> > As for how to invoke the 2 parsers, I prefer a keystroke to a command
> > line option so the user can switch back and forth between the different
> > parsers.
>
> Currently there is no way to "switch" for lynx -dump.
> The ^V key also isn't the best choice for an "official" key.
> It is often set to be the stty lnext character, which seems to have
> the effect that one has to press it *twice* on some systems, if lynx
> is compile with (n)curses.  (Tom, is there anything to do about this?)
> Also ^V may be a bit dangerously close to ^C  :)
>
> Other opinions?

[snip of some stuff]
> If you really want to see that change and have that time on your hands and
> have an idea how to do it without wasting 8 lines on the options screen,
> you'll probably do it without asking people to ask you first...
> A general extension of the Options screen to more than one screenful
> would probably be more useful.
>
>       Klaus

I'd like to see something like that .. Basically something to get us from
trying to cram more and more into a single options page screen.  Whether
we get an options page along the lines of what Tin has in some of the
later unofficial releases or whether we get an html-forms-based option
screen with some kind of new special lynx-whatever tags for setting the
options, I'm not sure which'd be better ...

Thoughts?

-matt