Re: LYNX-DEV C++/C mix

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV C++/C mix
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 13:17:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Michael Sokolov wrote:

>    Mixing C and C++ is easy. Tom's suggestion (an intermediate layer
> written in C++ with Lynx-accessible functions declared with name mangling
> disabled) would work, but depending on how the C++ library is written, an
> easier way could be to disable name mangling in the C++ library itself on
> the functions that are to be called from the outside (add extern "C" to
> their declarations).

The library is written in classes.  For example, they made socket a class
so it would definately have to be layered.

>    But how will this help you create Lynx for Windows v3.xx? Will it run
> under vanilla Windows v3.xx or will it require Win32s?

I did post this URL after Tom's post, so I don't know if you saw it:
http://www.rangenet.com/markiv/wsock.html

From reading some of the source it would appear that it does hook the
VXD's somehow. It worked on my Win95 machine and the web page mentioned
Win3.1, but while at work today it failed on 2 Win3.1 machines. I guess it
was just fools gold.

> BTW, your suggestion of making a WINSOCK to packet driver adapter is
> completely impractical. The WINSOCK and packet driver interfaces are at
> completely different levels.

I know they are at different levels, but I don't find the thought
impractical.  How does it really differ from a slip-packet driver?  I was
thinking allong the lines of a crippled stack of course...not enough to
run anything like ethload but with hooks to send and receive tcp and udp
packets for telnet clients, dos browsers and maybe games.

At any rate, since the software was non-functional the point is mute for
now.

Wayne

;
;