Re: LYNX-DEV Bug? Error message from Lynx 2.7.1 under Linux and VMS

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bug? Error message from Lynx 2.7.1 under Linux and VMS
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:18:29 +0100 (BST)

>                                500 Server Error
>
>    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was
>    unable to complete your request.
>
>    Message: Line length exceeded caller's buffer size
>
>    Please contact the server administrator, address@hidden and inform
>    them of the time the error occured, and anything you might have done
>    that may have caused the error.

ALL of this message came from the server.  It is 100% a server problem.
(Even so, you might end up having to work round it.)

The possible reasons for Lynx dependency might be broken code, in the
server, for returning different pages based on the User-Agent header
from the browser, or broken code in the server for handling one of the
content negotiation headers sent by Lynx (I think Lynx is rather more
thorough about content negotiation).

I think that this is probably not the server itself, but some form of
dynamic page generator.  Just in case it is the server, it might be useful
to identify it (I could but I'd need to make another charged phone call).

Incidentally, when comparing with MSIE and Netscape, version numbers are
important.  MSIE version vary much more radically than Lynx ones do.
;
;