Re: Reply-to: should be viewed as advisory

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: Reply-to: should be viewed as advisory
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 08:49:32 -0400 (EDT)

to follow up on what Ulrich Windl said:

> > Did I fail to Cc: the list?  I am erratic in following even my own
> > principles.  I meant to write to you with Cc: to the list.  Since
> > mail that comes through the list comes equally from subscribers and
> > non-subscribers, I sometimes send mail directly to the person I
> > am answering when it appears they may not be subscribed.
>
> I see, but I'm not a member of the list. Maybe my sendmail should do
> address rewriting, but there's already too much forgery around. I'ts
> simply true that I have several machines to write mail from, but I
> only read it on one machine periodically. If you are unlucky it can
> take one month until I realize that I have mail. My preferred
> machine has no direct Internet connection.

I see.  You should be aware that the list manager for lynx-dev
rewrites the Reply-To: header so I don't get the one you put in.
That's a group decision and as I said is not a question on which
one can get a strong consensus either way.

In practical terms, then, if you have posted to lynx-dev or sent
mail to address@hidden, you have the choice of checking
all three of your accounts or visiting the archive at
http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/ with Netscape ;-> to check
for answers.

> > Hope you continue to enjoy Lynx.
>
> Depends on the bugs: Try accessing "www-rks.uni-regensburg.de": I
> only get "500 Internal server error" while netscape works.

I was unable to reproduce the problem.  The 500 error is
nominally a server problem and without tracing the HTTP dialog
when it fails it is not clear what Lynx did to find this bug in
the server.

-- Al Gilman