Re: LYNX-DEV nit about agent string

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV nit about agent string
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 19:43:57 -0500 (EST)

Laura Eaves <address@hidden> wrote:
>Here's a small nit but a nit nonetheless...
>Sometime in the past few weeks fotemods has been changed to
>prepend "Lynx/" to the version string to form the agent string.
>(Previous versions just assumed Lynx was in the version string.)
>
>This means if I want to change the agent string to
>       Mozilla/3.01 (X11; U; compatible lynx2-7-1f_8/16/97) ...
>(or whatever) I can't do this by simply changing the
>version string in userdefs.h.  I have to either edit other source files
>or change the agent string in the options menu every time I run lynx.
>
>Is there a reason for this change?  Are you trying to discourage
>editing the agent string?  (This is the only way to get into some sites.)
>Just wondering.

        The User-Agent string is:

         LYNX_NAME/LYNX_VERSION libwww-FM/HTLibraryVersion

based on the definitions in userdefs.h:

[...]
/****************************************************************
 *   Section 3.   Things that you should not change until you
 *                have a good knowledge of the program
 */

#define LYNX_NAME "Lynx"
#define LYNX_VERSION "2.7.1f"
[...]

and the version file for the libwww.  Both #define's have been in
userdefs.h for years, now.

        The issue of copyright violations if you change LYNX_NAME
from "Lynx" to "Mozilla" is not a small nit, the answer has not
changed since the last times you asked and received it, and was
in the Users Guide those times, as it still is.

                                Fote