Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx on a mainframe

From: Jonathan Sergent
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx on a mainframe
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 19:42:20 -0500

In message <0B2AA33FE0B592A2*/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=amex/o=trs/ou=HUB1/ou=AMEX
/s=Shankman/g=Steve/@MHS>,
Steve Shankman writes:
 ] Hello...
 ]
 ] I have two questions. First, what are licensing requirements for Lynx in a
 ] commercial environment? How much does it cost? Second, is it possible for th
 ]  e
 ] software to run on an IBM mainframe?
 ]
 ] Thanks...
 ] Steve Shankman
 ] 212 640 5699
 ] address@hidden

Lynx is licensed under the GNU Public License.

Lynx is free software, and is supported and developed by volunteers
on the Internet.  Chances of it running under most IBM mainframe OSes
are probably slim without some porting effort to the source code (which is,
of course, freely available).  If you have anything resembling a POSIX
environment and a curses library of some sort (which is, from what I
hear, available on IBM big iron these days), it probably won't be too
horribly difficult for someone with good C programming skills.  However,
I don't think you'd have much luck in getting it running without a
POSIX environment or without a curses-like library without rewriting
significant portions of the code.

I do believe there are some other text-based web browsers for IBM
mainframe environments out there (I think there's one called Charlotte),
but I'm fairly certain the developers would not mind another Lynx port
being added to the collection.

Lynx runs without modifications on Unix (including IBM AIX), VMS, DOS,
and Windows; modified versions are out there for a few other platforms.

--
Jonathan Sergent / address@hidden / address@hidden
;