Re: LYNX-DEV nit about agent string

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV nit about agent string
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 08:34:02 -0500 (EST)

"Brian Tillman, x8425" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>      The issue of copyright violations if you change LYNX_NAME
>>from "Lynx" to "Mozilla" is not a small nit, the answer has not
>>changed since the last times you asked and received it, and was
>>in the Users Guide those times, as it still is.
>
>I wonder if Microsoft paid a fee to Netscape to allow them to cause MSIE to
>advertize itself as Mozilla.

        I don't know if that's part of the "anti-Trust" suits between
Netscape and Microsoft, but I'm not aware of any particular suit about
it.  It would be cheaper for Netscape to sue some other implementer, as
a test case, or simply prevent the practice from spreading through threats
of legal actions.

        The -08 HTTP/1.1 draft waters down the definition of the User-Agent
string, i.e., doesn't say explicitly that the field preceding the first
slash identifies the software, but still has the earlier examples, for
which this is the case.

        The intent in Lynx is for the LYNX_NAME definition to be modifiable
so as to indicate relevant information about the binary, whereas LYNX_VERSION
should give relevant information about the code.  For example:

#define LYNX_NAME "LynxSCO"
#define LYNX_VERSION "2.7.1f-1997-08-24

would yield:

        LynxSCO/2.7.1f-1997-08-24 ...

which would indicate that the binary was compiled and is distributed by
SCO, but is simply v2.7.1 + fotemods through 1997-08-24, whereas:

#define LYNX_NAME "Lynx"
#define LYNX_VERSION "2.7.1f-SCO"

would yield:

        Lynx/2.7.1f-SCO ...

which implies that the code is based on v2.7.1 + fotemods, but includes
additional bug fixes and/or enhancements by the SCO folks.

                                Fote